Olympus 45mm F 1.8

I have been having a little fun lately with the Zuiko 45 1.8. The above photo is taken wide open at 1600 ISO, a setting I would comfortably use with the EPL-5. The one below is taken at 25,600 ISO and although there some obvious noise qualities in the photo it is perfectly acceptable in a pinch for a small print.
We are traveling to Cuba next month. I have been a longstanding fan of Olympus cameras but I have learned to understand and accept their limitations. The tradeoff is that they produce wonderful colours when the light is right. In any kind of challenging low light situation it takes patience to achieve good results. I believe that the EPL-5 sensor now changes that. I can take photos now that I would not have even attempted in the past.

Cuba presents many challenges, the bright beaches, the dark museums and contrasty street scenes have always been a little frustrating from a photographer's perspective but I have prevailed and gotten some nice results despite the 12 megapixel sensors and low dynamic range of the E-30 and the EPL-2. The new 16 megapixel sensor in the EPL-5 changes the game and I will now expect more from my camera. For my Cuba trip I will be bringing the 14-42, the 45 and the 40-150 and my trusty E330 as my backup camera. That should give me enough range for every situation. I also plan to take some video and so far I am pleased with the EPL-5 in that department.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes