Tick Tock

Okay I thought to myself, do I need another hobby? Well, it appears that I do. Ever since picking up our Ridgeway, Hamilton Country Grandfather clock  in the fall of 2012 I have been awestruck with clocks.  About ten years ago we bought a Seth Thomas Adamantine and while very attractive to look at it has not been run much largely due to the fact that it really does not keep very good time and yes, maybe it needs a good cleaning.

So, we are driving up to Malgash Saturday last and just for a lark we stop by a thrift shop in Wallace. We walk in and there is everything imaginable complete with that certain thrift shop odor. Lots of clocks, mostly electric but what I want is a mechanical wall clock.

What I found in a corner ticking away was a Daniel Dakota from I think would be around the 60s. Whereas the Ridgeway would be considered the Buick of clocks, the Daniel Dakota is more like a Kia. It works but I really do not expect it to last long and if it breaks I think I'll dismantle it so that I can learn more about the mechanicals. It looks pretty good on the wall and the case is in reasonably good shape. It actually keeps good time and it gongs on the hour and half hour.

While researching the net I found that originally they came with a bottom trim piece. I can only imagine that the previous owner took it off so that it could be placed on a shelf or mantle. I think it looks okay without it. At just over $50 the price was right.

Anyway, I am now on the hunt for other clocks. My goal, a Seth Thomas #2 Regulator in Mahogany.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes