OK you vinyl buffs

Thorens Turntable with Audio Technica cartridge
Vinyl is making a comeback in a big way. I dug out my turntable the other day and discovered that if I wanted to replace it with a brand new unit the cost would be $700 to $800CDN. Why you might ask? The cartridge is an Audio Technica TK7SU which uses a TKN-3 stylus. I did a little checking on the internet and to buy a TKN-3 stylus would cost somewhere more than $300. A replacement stylus is $99 and that is for elliptical stylus only and not the original Shibata (the TKN-3). My TKN-3 has a bent stylus shaft - don't ask me why - and does not track as well as it should.

The turntable is a Thorens TD 165C and a very well regarded then and now and now it is  35+ years old. EBay prices are anywhere from $150 to $350, with higher prices that include the dustcover ( $100 item if bought separately). A new Thorens is simply out of my league.

Here is a shot of the turntable playing a vinyl record.

Anyway, I am listening to the Doors at this moment and there is nothing like "Riders on the Storm in glorious" vinyl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes