Big Spruce Brewing

I don't know about you but I love beer. I even make my own. Some of it is great and some of it is what I call good practice through experimentation.

Anyway, I went to the Governor's Pub in Sydney Nova Scotia while I was there for

Big Spruce Brewery
64 Fl Oz of dynamite
supper in mid November and asked what they have on tap. The usual stuff from the big breweries of course, but I would like to try local beer, I said. Have you tried Big Spruce they said? No, I haven't. What's it like, I replied. Would you like a taste, the waitress said. No just give me a pint of Black IPA. And so I tried Big Spruce for the first time.

Good? Really good! IBU stands for International Bitterness Units. A store bought light ale might be 4-8 IBUs. This IPA was bitter but at 124 IBUs; that really surprised me, but it tasted really good. And yes, it was black!

Big Spruce represents one of many cottage style craft breweries that are opening up in the Maritimes. Why? People are more discerning about their beer and want to experiment with different tastes in mind. I dropped in to buy a bottle of beer, yes just one. Is 64 fluid ounces big enough? I thought so, so I bought only one. It is called a "Growler". The brewery itself is a nondescript building built for the purpose. The man I spoke to inside said that demand was so great (24 taps in Nova Scotia) they they are looking at expanding.

I believe that beer is now going through what wine did in the 80s and 90s and folks are discovering that store bought beer is what it is and for a better taste experience nothing touches beer lovingly made from a craft brewery. So tomorrow we off to Sea Level Brewery in Port William Nova Scotia to taste what they have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes