Stromberg Carlson - the staining stage

The top section showing the sanded finish and stained trim pieces
The next stage is the staining for the Stromberg Carlson radio model 662. This will occur in 4 stages; 2 applications of the dark walnut stain for the trim pieces and 2 applications of light walnut for the veneered surfaces.

I used #0000 steel-wool with lacquer thinner for the final sanding, damp wiped to get all the dust off and after a thorough drying overnight applied the dark walnut stain to the trim pieces this evening (Jan 27th).

I used a Bennett's 3/4" trim brush to apply the stain. I thought about taping areas off but the brush allowed me to apply the stain freehand though I did manage to make a couple of small paint-overs that are easily correctable through sanding. I might give it a second coat to darken it up tomorrow.  I will also begin to apply the light walnut to the veneered surfaces as well. it will be exciting to see how that turns out.

This is what I started with
Walnut stained applied to the trim pieces
I am still not sure whether or not I should apply the darker toned features where the veneers meet on top and on the sides as you can see in the last photo which was taken before all this work began.

Once all the staining is completed and a final steel-wool once-over, I will spray with clear satin lacquer. The final phase is replacing the grill cloth, mounting the radio and applying the decals around the dials.

My wife reminded me to provide a little more ventilation while I work as the fumes from the stain and solvents can be smelled (is that a word) all over the house. Must wear a mask as well.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seth Thomas Gothic Beehive Mantle Clock

Seth Thomas Round Top Mantel Clock

No one told me about the last ten minutes